Rockets swept on road at Oakland

Published: Thursday, April 30, 2009

Updated: Thursday, April 30, 2009 08:04

Sophomore Dan Sherwood leaves the batter’s box after striking out in a game earlier this season agai

IC file photo by Jason Mack

Sophomore Dan Sherwood leaves the batter’s box after striking out in a game earlier this season against Bowling Green. Sherwood had went 1-4 with one run in yesterday’s doubleheader against Oakland.

After destroying Oakland 24-4 three weeks ago, the Rockets were swept on the road by the Grizzlies in a doubleheader on Wednesday.

The Rockets are now 18-22 on the season, with an 11-7 record in the Mid-American Conference.

Oakland's (16-23) pitching staff held Toledo to a .213 batting average (10-47) for both games. Sophomores Chris Dudics and Jim Vahalik both led the Rockets with two hits, including one run and one RBI.

Toledo dropped the opening game of the doubleheader after an 8-3 loss to the Grizzlies.

The Rockets were held without a hit until the sixth inning and only managed four hits in the contest, two coming off the bat of Vahalik (2-3, 1 R, 1 RBI). Dudics (1-3, 1 RBI) and sophomore Dan Sherwood (1-3, 1 R) had the only other hits for UT.

Lincoln Rassi (1-4) was stuck with the loss, allowing three runs on five hits in three innings of work.

The Grizzlies took an early lead after a scoring two runs in the first. Another run in the third and two in the fourth put UT in an early 5-0 hole.

Vahalik broke up the Grizzlies' no-hit bid with a single in the sixth, followed by sophomore Jason Edwards drawing a walk. A Dudics single would plate Vahalik, putting the Rockets on the board. Edwards would later score on a sacrifice fly, pulling UT within three.

Oakland responded by scoring three runs in the sixth to extend their lead to 8-2. Toledo would put one more on the board in the seventh after Vahalik's second hit would bring home Sherwood, but that would be all for the Rockets' comeback, as UT lost 8-3.

The Rockets struck early in the second game, but could not hold the lead, losing 7-3 to the Grizzlies.

Dudics, junior Tim Krofcheck, and freshman Joe Corfman each scored a run while going 1-3 at the plate for UT.

Senior pitcher Dan Gatins (1-2) was saddled with the loss after exiting the game in the third after allowing a grand slam. Gatins gave up five runs on four hits and two walks in two innings.

Toledo jumped out to an early lead with a two runs in the first, assisted by an Oakland throwing error.

Gatins allowed a run in the second and a grand slam in the third as Oakland rallied back to take a 5-2 lead.

Two Grizzlies errors in the fourth inning helped the Rockets get one more run back, but UT could not pull any closer. Oakland would score two more runs and go on to win 7-3.

The Rockets will return to action on Friday, May 1 at 3 p.m. against Western Michigan at Scott Park. Toledo will also take on the Broncos on Saturday and Sunday, May 2-3 at 1 p.m.