Toledo falls at home 161-133 to Ohio State

Published: Monday, January 11, 2010

Updated: Monday, January 11, 2010 04:01

The Toledo swimming and diving team won the opening three events but could not upset unbeaten Ohio State in a 161-133 loss at the UT Student Rec Center on Saturday.

“We fought hard today and it was a really close competition,” UT Head Coach Lars Jorgensen said. “We just came up a little short. Ohio State is a really good team. Now we have to focus on the process of becoming a better team over the next six weeks.”

Toledo opened the contest with a victory in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:43.12 from the team of junior Amanda Thompson and seniors Ashley Cusack and Katie White. The Rockets took the next two events with season-best times in victories by junior Jacy Dyer in the 1000 freestyle (9:57.73) and freshman Carly Harter in the 200 free (1:50.99).

Also recording victories for the Rockets were freshman Kenzie Bagan in the 200 fly (2:04.12) and sophomore Laura Lindsay, who set an NCAA “B” cut time in the 100 (1:02.74). Lindsay also took first in the 200 breaststroke with a time of 2:17.00.

After losing the first three events, the Buckeyes (3-0) took nine of the next 13 races on their way to the 161-133 victory. Both teams came into Saturday’s contest sitting just outside of the nation’s top-25 national rankings. Ohio State received 45 votes, while Toledo had three.

The Rockets will be off next week before returning for a duel meet on Friday, Jan. 22 at Bowling Green at 5 p.m.