University of Toledo coach resigns

Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, January 24, 2013

Updated: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 06:01

KevinHadsell.jpg

Courtesy of Paul Hokanson / UB Athletics

Hadsell

University of Toledo women’s cross country and track and field coach Kevin Hadsell resigned Thursday, citing a violation of University policy, according statements released by Hadsell and the school.

Hadsell’s complete statement reads as follows: 

“I want to apologize to the University, the Toledo community and the student-athletes, past and present, for letting them down. I have always told my student-athletes that there are rules, and that they must follow the rules or face the consequences. I hold myself to the same standards; it would be hypocritical not to. Therefore, I have submitted my resignation today as the director of women’s track & field and men’s and women’s cross country. The University of Toledo and the community of Toledo have been my home for the last 15 years. I am indebted to the University of Toledo for everything it has done for me. I will always be a Rocket.”

Both parties declined to say what the specific violation was, but a source told the the Independent Collegian that members of both teams have still not been told why Hadsell resigned or what rule he broke.

He told the Toledo Blade that he did not ask for severance pay.

UT athletic director Mike O’ Brien stated no NCAA violations occurred.

He also said assistant Jiana Jin will take over on an interim basis for the time being.

Hadsell led the women’s cross country program to five Mid-American Conference titles, including the last three in a row. He was named MAC Women’s Cross Country Coach of the year five times during his UT career, which began in 2003.

Hadsell coached 27 MAC champions during his stay and led the Rockets to their first top 25 ranking in school history — the first time any MAC program had been ranked.