Volleyball splits weekend

Published: Monday, October 19, 2009

Updated: Monday, October 19, 2009 04:10

The Toledo women’s volleyball team split a pair of Mid-American Conference road games over the weekend, winning at Kent State on Saturday after a losing to the Ohio Bobcats on Friday.

The Rockets (12-8, 3-5 MAC) received double-doubles from sophomore setter Kassie Kadera and sophomore outside hitter Amber DeWeerdt in a 3-2 (14-25, 25-21, 17-25, 25-21, 16-14) win against the Golden Flashes (11-11, 4-4 MAC) on Saturday.

Kadera finished with 45 of UT’s 49 assists and had 10 digs, and DeWeerdt had a match-high 19 kills and 12 digs. Junior OH Katie Westerfeld led the Rockets defensively with 18 digs.

Toledo struggled early in the match, giving up five-straight points in the first set and falling behind 11-2 before losing 25-14.

“This was a great team win for us and everybody played with a lot of heart,” Toledo Head Coach Greg Smith said. “We came out flat in the first set and that was the one thing I had told the team that we couldn’t do. We responded though with some tough play and rose to the occasion when we needed to, especially in the fourth and fifth sets.”

The teams tied the score 12 times in the second set, alternating points from 11-11 to 17-17. Freshman OH Sondra Parys finished an 8-4 run with a kill for a 25-21 win. Parys had 16 kills in the match.

After losing the first point in the third set, the Rockets scored six-straight points. The Golden Flashes utilized a 6-0 run of their own to take a 15-10 lead, and they closed out the set with an 8-3 run.

Toledo took an 8-2 lead in the fourth set before KSU tied the game at 11-11 and again at 20-20. After three kills from Parys, DeWeerdt hit a kill for a 25-21 win.

The Rockets recorded an attack error on their first match point at 14-13, but Parys and DeWeerdt recorded consecutive kills to end the match with a 16-14 win in the fifth set.

UT lost 3-1 (25-21, 25-15, 21-25, 25-15) to Ohio (16-4, 8-0 MAC) on Friday in front of a MAC record of 5,629 fans at the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio.

Senior middle blocker Liz Sundburg closed the third set with a kill for the Rockets’ only win of the match. Sundburg finished with eight kills. Parys led UT with 11 kills. Kadera had a double-double with 38 assists and 11 digs. Westerfeld led the Rockets defensively with a match-high 23 digs, and DeWeerdt had 19 digs and nine kills.

UT hosts Miami at Savage Arena on Friday at 7 p.m. and Bowling Green at 3 p.m. on Saturday.