Toledo battles Iona in rare morning game today

Assistant Sports Editor

Published: Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Updated: Thursday, December 1, 2011 03:12

S_WBball.jpg

File photo by Joseph Herr

UT sophomore guard Andola Dortch will need to up her game with the loss of Naama Shafir.

For just the second time in the past four season the UT women's basketball team will take the floor without point guard Naama Shafir.

It surely was not the way the Rockets (3-2) anticipated beginning its four game homestand but UT will look to extend its win-streak to 21 at Savage Arena when they host Iona (4-2) Thursday night.

The Rockets split a pair of road game last weekend, besting Indiana 69-58 on Friday before falling 64-56 at Arkansas State.

Toledo has competed without Naama Shafir (who led the team with 15.3 points and 5.1 assists last season) since she tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in her right knee less than a minutes into the Indiana game.

Senior guard Courtney Ingersoll has elevated her game in Shafir's absence thus far, leading the team with 17.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 2.5 steals the last two contests.

Sophomore guard Andola Dortch is averaging 12.2 points per game this season and leads the team with over 3 steal a contest. She will continue run the point in Shafir's stead.

The Gaels squad with whom Toledo will square off earned a 78-73 home win over Long Beach State last Saturday.

The victory was fronted by an 18 point and 13 rebound performance by senior forward Kristina Ford.  Freshman guard Damika Martinez added 19 points and 8 rebounds.

Iona, who finished 11-20 last season, has three players averaging at least 7.5 points coming into today's showdown.

The clash with the Gaels will be the second for UT in as many years. The Rockets topped Iona 68-60 last season at the Iona Thanksgiving Tournament in New Rochester, NY. Toldeo leads the overall series 3-0.

Tip-off is scheduled for 11 a.m. Today at Savage Arena.