Toledo upset by NW Ohio

For the IC

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2012

Updated: Thursday, April 26, 2012 04:04

S_Locke.jpg

Vincent D. Scebbi/IC

Toledo junior starter Jared Locke took the loss against NW Ohio giving up three runs in six innings of work.

After sweeping Northern Illinois on the road last weekend, the Rockets lost 3-1 to Northwestern Ohio yesterday afternoon.

Toledo (20-21, 9-6 Mid-American Conference) struggled offensively, leaving eight runners on base and scoring only one run on nine hits.

Junior third baseman Wes White paced UT, going 3-for-4 marking his fourth straight multi-hit game. Senior designated hitter Matt Delewski added two hits and freshman Dan Zuchowski brought in the Rockets only RBI.

“You can count on Wes for a good at bat all the time,” said UT head Coach Cory Mee. “That’s what I expect from our guys.”

Junior pitcher Jared Locke (3-5) took the loss after surrendering three runs (one earned) on six hits in six innings pitched.

UT got off to a good start in the bottom of the third when freshman right fielder Dan Zuchowski smashed an RBI triple into right-center field. Zuchowski’s RBI gave UT their one and only run of the contest.

The Racers responded in the top of the sixth, producing offensively and taking advantage of Toledo mistakes. Northwestern Ohio drove in three runs on three two-out singles from Fabian Plancencia, Kevin Cyrus and Dylan Brammer. A costly fielding error allowed a base runner to reach first with two outs and eventually score on the Cyrus single. UT finally closed the door after freshman pitcher Alex Schmenk came on in relief of Locke.

“You can’t give a team extra outs and we did in that inning,” Mee said. “We have to find a way to overcome it.

“We really put ourselves in a tough situation and you can’t afford to do that. I think we got what we deserved today.”

Despite the lack of offense, the Rocket bullpen was solid once again. Schmenk, junior Cody Umbright and senior Tyler Scott all pitched shut-out innings in relief of Locke.

Toledo was able to draw two walks and single three more times but could not string together any significant offensive production.

“Our lack of offensive execution gave the momentum back to them and they took advantage of it,” Mee said. “You have to give credit to Northwestern Ohio. They did a good job of staying and playing the game.”

Northwestern Ohio starting pitcher Pichi Torres (2-0) grabbed the win, allowing one run on seven hits with five strikeouts through the first six innings. Austin Park shut Toledo down in the ninth and earned his second save of the season.

This loss comes two days before the Rockets take on conference foe Ball State. UT is looking to improve offensively and cut down on mistakes.

“We just have to keep working to get better every day,” Mee said. “I expect us offensively to really bounce back this weekend. We’ll have to get better at practice tomorrow and get ourselves better for Friday.”

Toledo will host the Cardinals this Friday at 3 p.m.

1 comments Log in to Comment