Unpaid bills? Price could be high

Editor-in-Chief

Published: Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 06:08

Students who do not have their financial accounts settled before the start of the semester next week will be dropped from their classes and their housing arrangements with the implementation of an invalidation process.
In an effort to help reduce uncollectible debt, students who do not settle their balances by Aug. 19 will not be permitted to attend classes, said Vice President of the Student Experience Kaye Patten Wallace. In addition, any housing arrangements, parking permit and meal plans will also be revoked. 
Students will have until Aug. 31 to erase the balance in their account, which is the end of the Add/Drop period. 
“I don’t even like the word [invalidation], but it’s a matter of we want you to take a serious look and see if you can make this financial commitment,” she said.
Patten Wallace said students with minor imbalances will not be deregistered, but she did not specify the cutoff amount. She did say that this is geared toward students who struggle to pay tuition and their room and board fees.
Patten Wallace said that while part of the implementation is to collect funds, the other side of it is to remind students to settle their financial issues before classes begin.
“Part of this communication [process] is to not say ‘we’re going to invalidate you,’ but to get your attention that now is the time to take a serious look at their financial commitment and how you’re going to meet it,” Patten Wallace said.
The decision to reinstate this process comes after the past two years of being unable to collect on the debt. Patten Wallace said last year, Toledo lost approximately $3.5 million because of this, but she could not confirm the total loss at press time. 
Notifications regarding the invalidation process began being sent out Aug. 1 through an emailed postcard. The original deadline to settle bills was Aug. 13, but due to an “overwhelming amount of students expressing concern,” Patten Wallace said it was pushed to its current Aug. 19. 
If a student is in danger of being deregistered, the best bet is to make payment arrangements on their student account. 
One answer for some students who qualify is an installed payment plan where they would make four payments throughout the semester.
Patten Wallace said some issues students face are as simple as making sure all the proper paperwork is completed and filed.
Patten Wallace said she wants students to go online and look at their bill and address any concerns immediately.
“We just want students know that if they have questions, if they need help or if they need direction, we are here to help them,” Patten Wallace said. “We want them to do this before class on the 20th because they need to be concentrating on their classes and not their financial commitment.”
Any questions or concerns regarding the invalidation process can be addressed to Rocket Solution Central at 419-530-8700.