UTMC ranked best hospital in region

IC Copy Editor

Published: Monday, August 22, 2011

Updated: Monday, August 22, 2011 04:08

The University of Toledo Medical Center was recently named the best hospital in the region for 2011-2012 by U.S. News and World Report.

This ranking is based on seven clinical specialties including ear, nose and throat, geriatrics, kidney disorders, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics, pulmonology and urology.

To achieve this ranking seven out of 16 areas of clinical specialties at the UTMC had to be top tier.

UTMC outranked area hospitals such as Toledo Hospital, St. Vincent Mercy Hospital, St. Anne Mercy Hospital and Mercy St. Charles.  

"This ranking recognizes our commitment to quality," Scott Scarborough Senior Vice President and Executive Director of UTMC said. "The recognition by U.S. News and World Report reinforces that we are a top tier academic health center meeting and exceeding the needs of our patients."

The ranking from U.S. News and World Report coincides with another top ranking for the hospital given by a Surgical Care Improvement Project quality standards report.

In the report, UTMC was ranked ninth in the nation out of 124 other academic hospitals based on 11 standards.

UTMC ranked ahead of the University of Michigan and The Ohio State University in the same area.

The report is conducted quarterly by University HealthSystem Consortium, an organization made up of 113 academic medical centers and 255 hospitals in the country, of which UTMC is a part of.

The Surgical Care Project was formed in 2008 with the purpose of assessing patient care delivery by hospitals.

UTMC implemented guidelines based on Surgical Care Improvement Project standards and held numerous educational sessions and meetings to monitor the compliance of these procedures.

Standards include measures to reduce risks of complications with surgery including blood clots, infections or other related complications, by providing necessary antibiotics prior to surgery and maintaining a patient's temperature during surgery.

According to Scarborough, academic health centers across the country are looked to as leaders in providing health care in their communities. 

Scarborough attributes these rankings to progress UTMC has made in emphasizing patient care.

"Providing the best clinical care possible has always been the top priority at the UT Medical Center and in recent years we have put an extra emphasis in enhancing the patient experience at our hospital," he said.

Scarborough said he hopes these recent rankings will attract other talented individuals to UT.

"It is my hope this recognition will enhance our already strong reputation and encourage talented professors, physicians, researchers and students to come to The University of Toledo and the UT Medical Center," he said.

Scarborough said by raising the bar in academic health, enrollment at UT as a whole should be increased.

America's top tier academic health centers set the standard for health care. The recognition by U.S. News and World Report and the survey of Surgical Care Improvement Project measures will reinforce to the community and beyond that Toledo has a top tier academic health center he said.   

Chancellor of Health Sciences Jeff Gold attributes UTMCs high marks to the hard work UTMC physicians have made in achieving and maintaining quality care.

"Doctors and nurses sacrifice a many soccer games and events to help people," Gold said. "Hard work is always the result of great sacrifice."

Gold said he is hoping the UTMC gets recognized on a national level in additional to the regional recognition in the future.