Instagrammable summers: Rockets having a blast

August 18, 2016

During summer vacation, UT students take the time to do something they can’t usually do during the school year. Many students study abroad, have a cool internship or go on a wild and crazy adventure. College students have the time and the opportunity to have those experiences now while they are in college, compared to after they graduate. Here are five Rockets who had a great time this summer doing stuff they love.

“I chose to go to Lüneburg because I have always wanted to go to Germany. I was able to practice and immerse myself in the language and culture. My week in Italy was definitely a tough one to beat, the happiness that the spaghetti, wine and Gelato brought me, is one that I will never forget. ”
Grisoranyel Barrios
Fourth-year
Social Work, Political Science

Courtesy of Grisoranyel Barrios

“Other than Germany I visited Switzerland, France, and Belgium.In Belgium I went to a music festival, in Switzerland I saw Lake Geneva, in France I saw the French Alps. In Germany I saw everything from the Berlin Wall to the Brandenburg Gate. My favorite part of my trip was meeting new people from around the world and learning about their cultures. These are people that I only knew for a few weeks, but are friendships that will last a lifetime.”
Eric Kocsis
Third-year 
Political Science

Courtesy of Eric Kocsis

“While I was in Madrid, I visited the royal palace and Parque del El Retiro which is a park located near the Sol. I spent four days in Barcelona. I visited Sagrada Familia, Parque Güell, Monestir de Montserrat, took a walking tour of the Gothic Quarter, and biked around Barcelona.”
Christina Klein
Second-year 
Art History, History and Spanish

Courtesy of Christina Klein

“It was an honor to serve as an intern for Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur, her congressional staff, and the constituents in Ohio’s 9th congressional district. My favorite part of the internship was going with the congresswoman and her aides to events like press conferences, town hall meetings, and public affairs. It was very fun being behind the scenes and watching Congresswoman Kaptur in action.”
Kristy Kagy
Fourth-year
Exercise Science

Courtesy of Kristy Kagy

“My favorite part of the trip by far was Istanbul. I’ve never been somewhere so different culturally, and we were there during Ramadan which was very interesting to learn about from our tour guide as well as the people running our hotel. All of the buildings were so old but so beautiful, and I just found the culture to be so interesting.”
Makenzie Ferenchak
First-year
Nursing

Courtesy of Mackenzie Ferenchak