Rocket volleyball split wins in first exhibition match

In its first and only exhibition match of the season, the University of Toledo volleyball squad split wins with its Oakland University opponents. The matches ended by scores of 25-22 UT, 20-25 Oakland, 25-17 UT and 20-25 Oakland. 

Fourth-year University of Toledo outside hitter Saige Thomas posted impressive stats for the Rockets, earning a double-double with 18 kills and 11 digs, along with a .436 hitting percentage. Carly Townsend, a third-year setter for the Rockets, recorded a team-high 29 assists. Third-year libero Maurissa Leonard was also impressive in this series for the midnight blue and gold with 15 digs.

UT won the first set 25-22, holding Oakland to an abysmal .062 hitting percentage and forcing 11 errors. Fourth-year hitter Rachel Vidourek combined with Thomas for seven of 11 kills in the opening set. 

Thomas earned half of her 18 kills in the third set, where Toledo won 25-17. UT posted a .394 hitting percentage and 15 kills in the third set. 

Oakland took the final set by a score of 20-25 in a team effort, with three players earning at least three kills. 

UT will begin its 2017 regular season on Friday, Aug. 25 at the Fort Wayne Invitational where they will face off against SIU Edwardsville. On the following Saturday, Aug. 26, the Rockets will take on Quinnipiac University at 10 a.m. and then host Fort Wayne at 7 p.m.