A Mediterranean marinade

August 30, 2017

University of Toledo alumna and local artist Lisa Abdoo has used her skills to create something unique and very special to her.

Abdoo, a 2014 graduate of the University of Toledo’s Judith Herb College of Education, curated a Mediterranean marinade using her own knowledge of cooking, art and business.

“I’ve been working on it for about 24 years. It was something I started a long time ago when my kids were growing up,” Abdoo said.

In order to create her marinade, Abdoo said that many of her artistic skills were used, including hours of dedication to her dream and hard work to make it happen.

“In the event of brainstorming to create such a product, I utilized my abilities and knowledge of graphic arts, specifically the screen printing process, incorporating the elements of art and the principles of design, meaning and judgment,” Abdoo said. “For example, the use of color, the Greek key, as well as the name of my product, all of which substantiate the Mediterranean aspects of my heritage.”

The name of the marinade is “Alonzo,” named after Abdoo’s grandfather. She added that growing up in the 1960s and being exposed to the culture influenced her marinade recipe, as well as the graphics and design of the label.

“It truly inspired me in the event of creating my product label as an authentic brand, with the impact of its classic lines, contributing to its sales and marketing,” Abdoo said. It is a work of art, the consumer being the open critic.” 

Although “Alonzo” has taken much of Abdoo’s time and effort, she also has other accomplishments under her belt.
In 1990, Abdoo was featured in “Good Housekeeping” as the third-place winner of the National Christmas Decorating Contest. She is also the owner of Mariposa Artistas, a professional photography studio. 

Abdoo said that from a young age she knew she was interested in art and uses her experiences to influence young people. She is skilled in different forms of art, including screen printing, ceramics and painting.

“My childhood prepared me for wanting the same for my children. My family is everything to me; it is evident to anyone that knows me...incorporating every aspect of my teaching and artistic abilities, vastly weighing upon my love of being a mother genuinely for the welfare of each one of their lives that I may inspire.”

Abdoo currently works as an art teacher for grades kindergarten through sixth grade at Bishop Hoffman Catholic School in Fremont, Ohio, and is also an art coordinator at Sunshine Studios in Maumee, Ohio.

“My advice to young artists is to focus on what their talents are, experimenting with each of the medias of art,” Abdoo said. “Regardless of whether or not you are good at it, you will force yourself to become aware of hidden talents that are lying within your abilities. Believe in oneself, setting realistic and achievable goals. Life happens while doing so, and there lies your legacy.”