RockeTHON hosts CARnival For The Kids

On Sept. 2, RockeTHON hosted its first Carnival and Car show in parking area 25, west of Rocket Hall. The free event showcased cars and a carnival that featured attractions from various campus organizations.

“The event was a learning experience and it turned out very successful for a first-time event,” Special Events Director FTK at RockeTHON Dakota Ulrich said.

RockeTHON has been a part of the University of Toledo for the past 16 years and 300 campuses across the country are involved in the Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals. Each year, the RockeTHON committee organizes philanthropic events to help Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals.

“All the money we raise stays local, which is nice since we get to help our community and kids at the same time,” Ulrich said.

Through this event, RockeTHON raised over $400, all of which went to RockeTHON and Children’s miracle network. Ulrich said she hoped the event would get bigger over the years and it is something they could build on in the future. 

RockeTHON collaborated with UT Tuners, an automotive group at UT, to host a car show. Students and the Toledo community were welcomed to showcase their vehicles. The participating vehicles were judged based on cleanliness, engine bay, interior and originality, Ulrich said.

The car that earned the most points in these categories received the first place and the most unique car received the second place. Ulrich added some other categories for awards included Best in Show, Loudest, Lowest/Tallest, Miracle Family favorite and honorable mentions. 

Many campus organizations participated in the event and the carnival featured many games. The fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon hosted their first Donut Dash, which was a one mile race that incorporated running and eating donuts.

During the one-mile race, the runners ate a total of three donuts. All their profits also benefitted Children’s Miracle Network.

“We learned that the interactive games were more successful than just tossing something and saying congratulations you won,” Ulrich said.

RockeTHON Children’s Miracle Network dance marathon benefits Mercy Health Children’s hospital in downtown Toledo. UT students participate in a 13-hour dance marathon each year in April to celebrate the year-long efforts to spread awareness and raise funds, which help children in the community and saves countless lives each year. 

RockeTHON has planned several other events on campus for this year. They will be hosting FT5K and a 5K run for the kids on Oct. 1. RockeTHON is also looking for committee members. They will be hosting their committee showcase on Sept. 11 from 7-9 p.m. in the SU’s Ingman Room. Ulrich said anyone can donate to the event’s donor drive and can sign up for the event on their website.