Rockets return from two-day California trip winless

The Toledo women’s soccer team went 0-2 on their road trip to California. On Friday, they fell to the University of California Riverside by a score of 2-1, before losing 3-0 on Sunday to the University of California Irvine. 

The Rockets now have a record of 1-3-1 on the young season.

Fourth-year Isa Echeverri scored the only goal all weekend for UT. It was the 15th of her career, first of the season.

Toledo only managed three shots on goal against UCR although they gave seven shots on their own goal. Fourth-year Chiara Paradiso and Echeverri were the only Rockets to put up multiple shots.

First-year goalie Madison Perrin notched five saves in her fourth consecutive start.  

UT made the first real attack of the game, getting off a shot that went wide right and did not challenge the goalie. About twenty minutes into the game, the physicality picked up, as both teams received yellow cards in a five-minute span. 

Riverside started to apply pressure after 20 minutes with a shot on goal, forcing a save by Perrin. Another shot came in the 34th minute, forcing another save. They finally broke through with a goal 38 minutes in by Amanda Apeilan, to break the scoreless tie.

It did not take Riverside long to add to their lead, as Alex Vera put a shot over the keeper’s head for a 2-0 lead just two minutes later. UT did manage another shot before halftime but they were unsuccessful. 

After some early substitutions by UCR they were on the attack early in the second half. They put a shot on goal but it was cleaned up easily by Perrin. 

Toledo quickly got back on the offensive with a shot on goal by second-year midfielder Kelsey Kraft. That lead to a corner kick and a header by Echeverri that went wide right. 

After 60 minutes in the game, Kraft passed to Echeverri 20-yards from the goal and she fired a shot into the right and in the back of the net to cut the lead to 2-1. 

The last 20 minutes were a back-and-forth shootout with both teams managing good shots on goal. There were three shots on goal but Toledo failed to even the score and lost the game.

Sunday did not go any better for the Rockets. They gave up a goal to Kiana Palacios in the second minute of the game. UT got a good look off of a corner kick that was blocked early on.

There was not much room for error for Toledo as Irvine added a second goal after 21 minutes. The Rockets only managed one more scoring chance in the first half, as fourth-year forward Sophie Pohl saw her header go off the crossbar.

UT trailed 2-0 going to halftime.

Paradiso attempted to set the tone for UT in the second half by sending a laser of a shot at the keeper, but she was unable to find the back of the net.

Although the Rockets saw one more shot go off the bar, they did not see many chances the rest of the game.  

Irvine added an insurance goal late in the game as Noel Baham put the finishing touches on Toledo’s third loss of the season. 

The UT women will return to Ohio for their next game, as they travel to Cleveland to take on Cleveland State on Friday, Sept. 8 at 7 p.m.