Toledo Rockets stay undefeated in Reno

The University of Toledo football team defeated the Nevada Wolf Pack 37-24 Sept. 8 at Mackay Stadium in Reno, Nevada. The win raises the Rockets’ record to 2-0 on the season. 
“Any time you go on the road, it is hard and difficult to get wins,” UT Coach Jason Candle said. “Certainly, this was a great environment for their first home game. We handled the trip really well and got the goal accomplished that we set out to do and that was to win the football game. I thought it was very sloppy at times and at times even a little undisciplined. There are some things we definitely have to correct and have to fix as we move forward.”
Fourth-year running back Terry Swanson crossed the end zone twice and ran for 101 yards, carrying the ball 27 times. As a team, UT rushed for 211 yards on 60 carries.
Fourth-year quarterback Logan Woodside threw for 232 yards and two touchdowns, completing 19 of 27 passes. Fourth-year wide receiver Cody Thompson made a career high in catches, catching eight passes for 101 yards and a touchdown.
Second-year wide receiver Diontae Johnson caught four passes for 53 yards and a touchdown.
“I felt pretty good out there,” Swanson said. “The offensive line did a great job. This (Nevada) defense, they blitz a lot. So, we knew it was going to be difficult coming in. But the O-line did a good job.”
Toledo caught a break in the second quarter when Thompson mishandled a Woodside pass, Nevada intercepted the ball, returning it to the Toledo six-yard line. The play was later reviewed and overturned as the ball was ruled to have hit the ground.
UT finished the drive with a Jameson Vest 25-yard field goal, increasing the lead to 20-3. Nevada answered back before the half with a touchdown to make the lead 20-10.
Swanson kicked off scoring in the second half after a 75-yard drive giving UT a 27-10 lead
Nevada kept fighting by scoring a touchdown with 7:11 left in the third quarter, making the score 27-17.
With 3:45 left in the third quarter, The Rockets led the Wolf Pack 34-17 after an eight-yard touchdown connection from Woodside to Thompson. Nevada countered quickly with a 75-yard touchdown strike from Ty Gangi to McLane Mannix, cutting the lead to 10 at 34-24.
Jameson Vest wrapped up scoring in the game by converting a 23-yard field goal with 4:31 left in the game, making the Rocket lead 37-24.
“It was big to get a road win,” Swanson said, “It wasn’t our best performance, but a win is a win and we are going to move forward and get ready for Tulsa.”
The Rocket defense shut the door on Nevada after that, forcing two turnovers from Nevada in the fourth quarter.
Second-year defensive lineman Nate Childress recovered a fumble off fourth-year defensive lineman Tuzar Skipper’s sack. Fourth-year linebacker Ja’Wuan Woodley intercepted a pass with some help from third-year defensive lineman Olasunkanmi Adeniyi pressuring the quarterback.
The Rockets will return home to the Glass City on Saturday, Sept. 16 to face Conference USA foe, Tulsa. The game is at 7:00 and will broadcast on ESPN3.