Toledo wins over Valparaiso

The University of Toledo women’s soccer team hosted Valparaiso University this past Sunday, gaining another win for the season.

The record wrapped up to show a 3-4-1 for the end of the young season.

The Rockets honored fourth-year players Alexis Burdick, Isa Echeverri, Chiara Paradiso, Sophie Pohl, Sydney Vinton and Christina Williams before the game started.

Gameplay started equally met for the Rockets, with two shots on goal from both Vinton, a defender, and Phol, a forward, within the first 10 minutes. First-year goalkeeper Madison Perrin also had two saves within the first 15 minutes.

Midfielder Echeverri had her own header shot on goal 16 minutes into the game, only to be matched by a shot from Valparaiso that was saved by Perrin. 

The first goal of the game came from third-year midfielder Alena Sidwell 23 minutes into the game with an assist from third-year defender Hannah Scafaria to put the Rockets ahead 1-0.

Echeverri tried again for a header shot on goal 36 minutes into the game, but it was saved by Valparaiso. Forty-one minutes into the game, first-year forward Anita Mancini tried for her own shot but was unsuccessful.

The Rockets finished off the first period with a save from Perrin with only seven seconds left in the half.

The second period started off with a corner kick from defender Paradiso, with a goal from Scafaria following shortly after, moving the score up 2-0 only eight minutes into the second half.

Perrin continued to make three more saves for the Rockets during the second half, ending the game with a score 2-0 and the third win of the young season.

“I think we’ve played a tough schedule and now we’ve worked through what we needed to work through, and now we’re ready to open up next weekend and be ready for conference,” head coach T.J. Buccholz said in an interview after the win

Women’s soccer will start the Mid-American Conference on Friday, Sept. 22 against Miami University at 4:05pm at Scott Park.