UT receives $2.4 million for biofuel research

The U.S. Department of Energy awarded the University of Toledo $2.4 million for their studies in producing algae biofuel.

“The grant awarded is part of $8.8 million funding the research for alternative methods of fuel production by the U.S. Department of Energy,” said Sridhar Viamajala, a UT associate professor of chemical engineering.

UT is now leading the way toward the future with a quicker and cleaner biofuel that could serve as a replacement to fossil fuels, said Viamajala.

“We are trying to speed up the growth of algae by providing a very high pH environment that allows algae to take up carbon dioxide gas from the atmosphere more efficiently and prevent unwanted contamination,” Viamajala said.

“Since it grows in water, algae doesn’t have as much carbon dioxide available. We are trying to improve the cleaner fuel potential.”

This study is a continuation of his work at other colleges around the United States, including Montana State University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and Arizona State University.

“These types of programs can lead to breakthroughs that will create American jobs and enhance our energy security, which is why I remain committed to renewable energy and advanced research from my role overseeing Department of Energy funding on the Appropriations Committee,” Congresswoman Marcy Kaptur said in a UT press release.