Website launched for community engagement

The University of Toledo is launching a new community engagement website with the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.

Carnegie’s definition of community engagement describes the collaboration between institutions of higher education and their larger communities for the mutually beneficial exchange of knowledge and resources in a context of partnership and reciprocity.

“We interviewed our external stakeholders and ask[ed] them what are we doing well, what could we improve on,” said Director of Strategic Initiatives Margie Traband. “They asked to be communicated more. They asked for different procedures to access information at the institution.”

Per UT’s community engagement website, Toledo received the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching classification in 2015 and the American Public Land Grant Universities’ Innovation and Economic Prosperity University designation in 2013.

“This recognition will last for 10 years, and then the University of Toledo will have to reapply. Both are peer reviewed by other public universities,” Traband said.

The APLU website listed three categories that universities needed to do well in to receive this designation: talent, innovation, and place.

Talent is how well the university is preparing people for the economy. Innovation is what the university is doing to build knowledge for others to benefit society. Place is how the university is making the region a better place to live.

Per UT’s community engagement website, UT qualified for these honors with CampMed, an on-campus program that

does water testing, and the academic affiliation with ProMedica.

“We’re basing how [Carnegie] defines community engagement. I think that’s one of the things that [is] going to be an interesting process for the institution, is truly getting our arms around what community engagement is because a lot of people have different definitions of it,” Traband said.

Students have done their part to help receive these recognitions with RockeTHON and The BIG Event, alongside many other opportunities to volunteer. The data is collected from the Office of Student Affairs, said Traband.

“UT’s faculty, staff and students make impactful contributions to our community every day. I am excited about this initiative, to highlight these contributions and recognize the good work that makes UT such a vital community partner,” UT President Sharon Gaber said.