Inclusion survey isn't accurate, students say

The University of Toledo conducted a survey to discover whether students, faculty and staff feel that they are in an inclusive environment.

The survey was conducted via an email sent out to students and faculty, then compared with the 2016 survey.

“It is important that all students feel included regardless of their race, gender, sexual orientation and beliefs, because this can motivate success in and outside the classroom. By celebrating and promoting differences and diversity, a climate of inclusion can be present throughout campus,” Latino Student Union member and second-year/pre-medicine pharmacy major Arianna Aranda said.

Of the 1,135 students who participated in the survey, 82.2 percent of students said they have a high feeling of inclusion. Additionally, 4.49 percent of students said they have a low feeling of inclusion.

However, not all students feel that this is an accurate representation of the student body.

“I do not believe that the statistics accurately reflect students' feelings of inclusion,” said Jamal Shaheen, third-year professional sales/marketing major and president of the Muslim Student Association. “The sample of students surveyed is not enough people to create accurate data to represent the student body as a whole.”

Isis Walker said she does not think multicultural events are as represented because they don’t usually contain much philanthropy.

“I do not feel like such a high feeling of inclusiveness is an accurate representation,” said Walker, a Black Student Union member, Advancement of African American Women member and third-year communication major. “A lot of people I associate with feel like UT is a very segregated place.”

Of the 330 faculty members surveyed, 20.19 percent had a high feeling of inclusion, while 2.73 percent of faculty had a low feeling of inclusion.

This is a slight decrease in inclusion from the 1.5 percent in the 2016 survey.

“It would be great to see organizations collaborate together to host events and bring more diversity on campus on a larger scale, rather than each organization functioning alone,” Aranda said.

Shaheen said the university should hold more forums, lectures and events, in order to educate one another about the differences we may have.

“The single most important thing that can be done to ensure all students feel included is to educate,” Shaheen said. “Lack of education of those who may hold different religious beliefs, sexual orientations, race or gender leads to unjust stereotypes, hostility and ignorance.”