UT ranks best four-year university in Ohio

The University of Toledo has recently been ranked the best overall four-year college in Ohio and has received national recognition for its online Early Childhood Education program.

Schools.com based the state rankings around data on affordability, flexibility and student services, all of which was gathered by the National Center for Education Statistics.

After being awarded this recognition, UT President Sharon Gaber said, “It’s an honor to be recognized as the best school in the state for our success serving students with a high-quality education at an exceptional value. No matter what you want to study, you can find it here. We are committed to helping students succeed.”

According to Schools.com, UT ranked fourth in Ohio and is a “bright spot” for financial aid and affordability. Only three schools ranked better for institutional grant aid, in proportion to the cost of attendance.

Schools.com also ranked UT as having the lowest amount of graduate debt among all of Ohio’s public universities with an average debt of $24,437 for the class of 2016. The site also ranked UT very high among Ohio universities in flexibility and student services.

“I chose UT due to its affordability and how all of the educators here really care about our education. Also, I love how there’s so many programs to get into, so that anyone can find their dream career,” said Kayla Noon a second-year middle childhood education major.

Schools.com ranked UT fourth for having the widest degree selection in the state of Ohio. Also, UT ranked second for top online colleges in Ohio, with 46 different online education degrees offered. Currently, 36 percent of students are enrolled in at least one online class.

The Early Childhood Education was recently ranked as the fifth best bachelor’s program and the 18th best master’s program in the entire country by Best School Choices.

Best School Choices found UT’s tuition rates, other previous strong rankings at the national level and low student-to-faculty ratio as beneficial qualities that UT has to offer.

UT Professor and Judith Daso Herb Chair Laurie Dinnebeil, who helped pioneer the online program, said UT separates itself from the rest of the country with very strong completion rate of students in the program and the special way the program is set up.

The program

consists of four semesters and allows students to work in the field while going to school, helping them earn college credit through their work, making it much easier for students to be able to continue to further their education while working and providing irreplaceable hands-on training that isn’t available elsewhere, Dinnebeil said.