Men's Tennis opens season at home

The Rocket men’s tennis team opened its season with an on-campus invitational this past Friday and Saturday.

On the first day of the tournament, the team posted a 6-2 record in singles and a 2-0 record in doubles for an overall record of 8-2. Nikola Arsic, Danilo Vukotic, Juan Carranza, Luka Vitosevic, Reid Teatsorth and Vince Anzalone all posted victories in singles against Western Michigan and Case Western. In doubles, Juan Carranza and Reid Teatsorth pulled a great victory against the doubles team of Lenhard Haupt and Billy Heckman from Western Michigan.

In the other doubles victory, Juan Olmedo and Vince Anzalone defeated a Case Western University duo of Oludayo Areke and Austin Lawrence. The Rockets also went 3-0 in singles against Case Western giving them an overall record of 4-0 against Case Western on Friday.

On Saturday, the Rockets followed up its impressive first day with a solid second day of competition. The Rockets went 5-4 in singles and 2-0 in doubles, to make for a 7-4 record on the day and a 15-6 record for the whole invitational. The singles victors were, Luka Vitosevic, Danilo Vukotic, Thawin Suksathaporn and Vince Anzalone. Anzalone won two singles matches against opponents from Duquesne and Detroit Mercy. The duo of Danilo Vukotic and Thawin Suksathaporn claimed a doubles victory over Duquesne’s doubles team, Drew Akins and Andrew Ong.

The other doubles victory came from Rocket doubles team Juan Carranza and Stephen Miller, against another Duquesne double team, Tyler Smith and Chris Corrao.

This invitational was an impressive one for Vince Anzalone, who notched three singles victories and one doubles win on Friday. Danilo Vukotic and Luka Vitosevic are, along with Vince Anzalone, the only undefeated Rockets in singles play after the opening weekend. Juan Carranza was a part of two doubles victories with different teammates.

The Rockets look to build off of this very successful weekend and hope to use the early momentum to win more matches, especially in MAC play as the season progresses.

In an interview with UTRockets, Head Coach Al Wermer said, "We felt good about today's results and I'm loving the competitiveness of this group of guys.”

The Rockets will look to build off this the next they take the courts on Oct. 13 at the Louisville Invitational.