Floats and festivities

Homecoming at the University of Toledo has always been a tradition celebrating the university and rallying support for its football team. This year’s homecoming marks the 100th anniversary of UT’s football program and is themed “Aloha Rockets!” 
CAP president Toriano Drane said that his organization is planning a variety of events to celebrate the occasion. 
For the parade, the group is creating a float related to the Hawaiian theme, according to Drane. 
“On our float, we have Rocky and Rocksy posing on a beach next to a giant volcano,” Drane said. 
He also explained that CAP is collaborating on the float in collaboration with Student Government and the International Student Association for the first time. 
“I believe this project will be a tradition for CAP from here on,” Drane said. 
The parade is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 7 and will run a different route than years before, due to the Bancroft Road Project construction taking place in front of campus. 
Not only is CAP working on projects to fit the theme of homecoming, it is also promoting the celebration of 100 years of football, according to Drane. 
“This year, so far, we have given out 250 limited edition ‘100t

h year anniversary of Athletics’ hats at the UT vs. Tulsa game,” Drane said. 
In addition to the parade, UT hosts a large tailgating party before the game to rally the community in support of the team. 
This year’s alumni tailgate, funded by the Alumni Association, will begin at 9 a.m. at the William and Carol Koester Alumni Pavilion. 
Alumni are invited to “enjoy free hot dogs, chips, and non-alcoholic beverages, a cash bar (ages 21+) and live music from 5 O’Clock Rush.” according to the UT webpage. 
All tailgates will go on until noon when the game begins against Eastern Michigan University at the Glass Bowl Stadium.