Spirit that rocks

Located in the University of Toledo’s Flatlands, the Spirit Rock has seen many a campus pep rally and, by our calculations, around 3,000 layers of paint over the past 20 years. 
But how did this massive, eight-ton boulder get to be in the middle of campus? 
In 1968, Nicholson Concrete and Supply Co. donated a huge rock to UT as a symbol of spirit and it was placed on the grass between Carlson Library and the Student Union. The rock used to stand on end, but members of the varsity football team knocked the rock into its permanent position on its side. 
The rock didn’t stay for long, however. During the expansion of the Student Union, the rock was moved to rest beside the pond at Scott Park campus, where it now resides. 
The current Spirit Rock was donated to the university in 1997 and placed in the Flatlands. 
Over the years, it has been tarred, feathered, burnt and spray-painted by every kind of student organization, team and club.
It is a tradition to paint the rock before games, but it may only be painted during twilight hours.
So, if you don’t mind staying awake until sunrise, I suggest you grab some cans of blue and gold spray paint and cover the rock in some spirit in honor of homecoming week.