The Independent Collegian through the pages

“Without struggle, there can be no progress.” — Frederick Douglass
The Universi-Teaser was first founded in 1919, just two years shy of a century ago. With almost a hundred years under our belts, we’ve made mistakes and learned from them.
We’ve started from humble beginnings as a newspaper started by two university students to a fully-staffed editorial squad.
Now facing the next section of our life as a student newspaper, we wanted to travel back in time to see where we’ve been and what we’ve done.
Learning from our mistakes is part of the learning process, and we’re looking forward to a future.

The Toledo Universi-Teaser printed its first issue on March 5, 1991. The weekly student newspaper, which was sold for five cents, was started by two Toledo University students. Articles they covered and printed for the first issue included Bill Barber, a war hero teaching French at TU; a banquet held by the university commerce club; and Toledo’s Founding Fathers.
In 1922, the name of the newspaper was changed to The Campus Collegian and was shortened to The Collegian in 1962.

This issue of the Campus Collegian was published on December 12, 1941, just days after the attack on Pearl Harbor and the United States’ start of involvement in World War II. In addition to regular campus news, this issue had articles on the Red Cross and discussions of war opinions.

On January 10, 2000, the Collegian resumed printing for the spring semester. We found it interesting that three of the top stories included information about “bugs” in their headlines. The bottom story talks about the failure of the Y2K and the entire scare behind it.

The University of Toledo has changed a lot over the years, and it’s odd to see campus without some of its iconic locations.
On Oct. 21, 2010, the Independent Collegian, which became independent in the summer of 2000, covered the new Taco Bell which would soon be constructed next to campus.