UT Football not worried about NFL protests

University of Toledo football head coach Jason Candle said that players protesting the national anthem is not a concern to the team or the university.

According to an Associated Press article, more than 200 Football players on teams across the NFL protested the national anthem by kneeling, locking arms or sitting Sept. 24 and 25.

President Donald Trump’s tweets in response to these protests encourage rules to be created by the NFL to prevent players from protesting.

In two tweets, Trump said that players “should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem.” If they don’t they should be fired and find another job, tweeted Trump.

According to Candle, this is not UT’s issue, nor the football team’s.

Candle said he and the football staff try to keep the players up-to-date on current events and wants the team to handle these events the right way.

“I think our guys are aware of everything that is going on,” Candle said. “Look back on the past two weeks and that is all you hear about. Everything on social media has turned into a huge ordeal whether it should be or not. It’s not a concern that pertains to us.”

Wide receiver Bryce Mitchell said that he doesn’t focus on the issue that’s being protested.

The team has talked about this and, according to Mitchell, it’s not a concern to the players.

“I certainly don’t frown upon people who want to voice their opinion on any platform,” Candle said. “I don’t feel like there is a disrespect or intent to show a lack of respect or towards those who have served our country.”