Unmasking Blue Crew

They’re the ones in the blue and yellow afro wigs, the high-top Converse, gold masks and painter’s overalls. They’re the craziest ones at every football game, the loudest ones at the pep rallies, the most spirited of us all. 
Odds are you’ve seen the Blue Crew around. But the history of this mysterious bunch goes back nearly two decades. 
Their first public appearance was in 2000 at a UT football game against Penn State in Happy Valley, former Blue Crew member Brian “Legal Eagle” Weinblatt said in an issue of Cornerstones. 
This organization is comprised of ten members who are dedicated to making sure the university’s traditions stay intact.
Dressed in blue and gold from head to toe, the Blue Crew attends every home and away football game, as well as both men’s and women’s basketball games. 
The crew members wear masks and use aliases to conceal their true identities, which are only revealed to the student body after they have served four full semesters as a Blue Crew member or until they graduate. 
The Blue Crew is most noted for its participation at the homecoming parade, where members can be found keeping school spirit high by riding in small red cars and sporting their blue and gold attire. 
The current members of the crew are “J-Soup,” “Iron Maiden,” “Shocker,” “Hitch,” “5-0,” “Bambino,” “Handle Bars,” “Iggy,” “Rookie Blue” and “New Guy.”
According the Blue Crew website, Hitch, the oldest member of the current group, joined the organization in January 2015 because he/she loves UT and loves to have fun. 
Ironically the most recent member is not New Guy, but J-Soup.
“Birthed” in March 2017, J-Soup says he joined because he “wanted to make everyone smile a little more on campus with school spirit.”
Though not much is known about these mysterious individuals, we do know that they keep us high-spirited and full of school spirit year-round.