Alpha Lambda Mu joins Greek Life after 10-year gap

The UT chapter of Alpha Lambda Mu, the first Muslim fraternity in the United States, recently joined the

Interfraternity Council. Before Alpha Lambda Mu, the last addition was in 2006, making the achievement all the sweeter for ALM.

“Joining IFC holds grave importance to us. It’s an extra step towards ALM getting involved in Greek Life. And it’s a step for IFC, for accepting another unique fraternity on campus,” said Alyan Memon, a founding class general member at the Eta Chapter of ALM.

Alpha Lambda Mu originated in Texas in 2013 and has since expanded into seven chapters. The ALM chapter at UT became officially recognized as a chapter in 2015. Mohamad Kanan, president of ALM, said the founders saw the need for a social group for Muslims in Toledo.

“We wanted to have a group where there’s a social outlet for Muslim guys in a fraternity, or in college, where they can do things together and maintain their Islamic values at the same time,” said Kanan, a third-year bioengineering major.

Kanan explained that ALM provides a platform for Muslim students to become more involved on campus, hold leadership positions, work with various organizations and build a brotherhood in the process.

“At the end of the day, all of these fraternities are here to create a healthy environment to serve our communities. And, also, to make a unique college experience with strong brotherhood that lasts even after college,” said Memon, a third-year mechanical engineering major.

When looking for a Greek council to join, ALM decided that the Interfraternity Council was the ideal choice. 

“They highly encourage things like service, strong brotherhood, academic excellence, giving back to the community and all these are principles that ALM likes to uphold,” said Kanan.       

The Interfraternity Council acts as the governing body of the university’s social fraternity chapters. The IFC organizes events, from community service to personal development to recreational brotherhood events, said Alex DiBell, president of the Interfraternity Council

“Our long-term goals are to promote campus involvement, grow the Greek community and provide a stable, productive fraternal system,” said DiBell, a fourth-year political science major.

DiBell believes that ALM is a perfect addition to the IFC because they can bring a new perspective to the council.

“What is exciting about ALM is, since they are the nation's first Muslim-interest fraternity based on Muslim values, they bring a fresh take to Greek life,” DiBell said. “They bring diversity to our community and help our fraternities understand the value of inclusion.”