Brunicardi to head UT cancer program

Dr. F. Charles Brunicardi was named the new director of the cancer program Sept. 29 in the University of Toledo’s College of Medicine and Life Sciences.

Dr. Brunicardi joined UT in 2016 as the chair of the department of surgery and chief of academic surgery for ProMedica. Now, he will add “director of the cancer program” to his title.

“We are extremely fortunate to have someone with Dr. Brunicardi’s experience and expertise in surgical oncology, as well as translational cancer research, leading our cancer program,” said Dr. Christopher Cooper, dean of the College of Medicine and Life Sciences.

As director, Brunicardi will organize clinical care, research and educational programs.

Plans to recruit a new chief medical oncologist in collaboration with Dr. Lance Dworkin, chair of the College of Medicine, is just one change he plans to make.

“We are working on creating a Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3 clinical trials program, so recruiting the new chief medical oncologist will help achieve that goal,” Brunicardi said.

The department hopes to build a precision medicine program and wants to affiliate with ProMedica.

“I have been working on this for 20 years and accumulating knowledge on how to build such a program,” said Brunicardi. “We hope to be able to offer patients first in human cancer therapies.”

The team’s intention is to build Phase 1 clinical trials at the Dana Cancer Center, run by UTMC. 

Brunicardi said he prides himself on his excellent care and being able to teach the next generation of surgeons.

“I love to teach, so students would be welcome to join in on any research and clinical programs,” he said. “We also aim to develop new rotations for the students to learn about precision medicine for cancer.”

Brunicardi said he is also helping to plan a research day in cooperation with ProMedica and the College of Medicine and Life Sciences that will include 25 presentations centered on science programs in cancer care.

Cooper said Brunicardi brings compassion, understanding and leadership skills that will take the program to the next level of excellence.

“Dr. Brunicardi is terrific leader. He is making advances in the department of surgery, our cancer program and in the university,” Cooper said.

Brunicardi said he is honored to have this additional administrative responsibility and is excited to take cancer care to a new level in Toledo.