Soccer suffers harsh loss in MAC play

The Toledo Rockets women’s soccer team lost a Mid-American Conference game to Central Michigan 5-0. The Rockets record now stands at 5-5-3. 
This was their first conference loss, after previously being 2-0-2 It was also the first loss for the Rockets since Sept. 10, when they lost 4-0 to Notre Dame.
The afternoon wasn’t pretty for the Rockets. Less than five minutes into the game, they allowed an own goal. From there it was only grimmer. 
One postgame stat that spoke volumes was the shot attempts for both teams. Central Michigan had 17 shots with nine on goal. Meanwhile, the Rockets only had four shots, three on goal. First-year Rockets keeper, Madison Perrin, did her best to hold off the offensive onslaught coming from Central Michigan, making four saves.
 The game was a special one for Central Michigan’s reigning First Team All-Conference selection Lexi Pelafas, who had a hat trick, scoring three out of the Chippewas’ five goals.
The Rockets did their best to turn up the offensive tempo in the second half, having three shots on goal. Those shots belonged to first-year Sophia Lewis, fourth-year Chiara Paradiso, and second-year Kelsey Kraft. The fourth shot the Rockets attempted was taken by fourth-year Sydney Vinton. The fifth goal scored by the Chippewas was from Sheila Magnan. Central Michigan also had two corner kicks, compared to zero from the Rockets. 
This was a real test for the Rockets, as they are in the thick of their conference schedule. 
The Rockets host Eastern Michigan at Scott Park Sunday, Oct. 8. followed by Akron on Friday Oct. 13. The Rockets have plenty of opportunities to avenge this tough conference loss.