Women’s Golf travels to Kentucky for Invitational

The University of Toledo women’s golf team finished sixth out of 16 teams, with a 30-over-par 894 this past weekend, at the University of Kentucky’s Bettie Lou Evans Invitational.

Round One – October 6

Pimchanok Kawil, third-year, birdied two of the final three holes and tied for first place with a 3-under-par 69. Kawil began the day at 1-over-par with bogeys on two of the first three holes before turning her score around with the two birdies.

Saranlak Tumfong, second-year, tied for 29th place with a 3-over-par 75. Pinyada Kuvanun, third-year, tied for 36th place with a 4-over par 76. Both Tumfong and Kuvanun registered at 1-over-par on the back nine.

When the Rockets golf, lots of ties occur. Hannah Kochendoerfer, third-year, finished strong by posting pars on her final six holes to tie for 46th place with a 5-over-par 77. Thunpijja Sukkasem, second-year, tied for 96th place with a 14-over-par 86.

"I'm really thrilled about our performance today," head coach Nicole Hollingsworth said, in a UTRockets interview. "We worked very hard in practice over the last week because we knew how long and challenging the course we were going to be playing was. It was really fun to watch Pim shoot a three-under today, and I can't wait to see us play again tomorrow."

Round Two – October 7

Kawil and Kuvanun both had top five finishes on Saturday, helping Toledo finish 22 strokes behind first place.

Kawil finished three strokes behind the co-medalists, who finished at 5-under par 211, a new tournament record. Kuvanun birdied her final three holes, bringing her just one stroke shy of a UT record, for a career-best 4-under-par 68.

Tumfong tied for 32nd place with a 13-over-par 229. Kochendoerfer tied for 64th place with a 22-over-par 238. Sukkasem tied for 80th place with a 30-over-par 246.

The midnight blue and gold will make another trip to the Bluegrass State to participate in the University of Louisville’s Cardinal Cup Oct. 21-22.