Rockets pick up win against CMU

Last Saturday, the University of Toledo Rockets beat the Central Michigan University Chippewas 30-10 in a battle of two Mid-American conference powerhouses. The Rockets’ high-powered offense put up 399 total yards during the game.

The rain limited fourth-year quarterback Logan Woodside’s robust passing game, but fourth-year running back Terry Swanson picked up the slack on the ground, putting up an impressive 145 yards rushing and two touchdowns. Swanson put together this season-high rushing performance while missing three starters on the offensive line.

“I have to give props to the offensive line,” Swanson said in a postgame interview. “They did their thing. We have some guys missing in that group. They stepped up big.”

The Rocket defense made sure the rain wasn’t the only thing holding back the Chippewa offense as they limited CMU to only 49 yards in the first half and 244 yards of total offense overall.

Fourth-year Central Michigan quarterback Shane Morris also suffered at the hand of the Toledo defense, throwing two interceptions and completing only 17 of 37 passes. The running game was even less impressive, gaining only 62 yards in 21 attempts during the game.

Woodside was only able to complete 10 of his 18 passes in the game for 89 yards, so the driving force of the Rocket offense was in the rushing for a change. First-year running back Shakif Seymour stepped up big for Toledo, putting up 119 yards in just the fourth quarter.

Toledo set the pace early with a risky call to go for it on fourth-and-one midway through the first quarter. The resulting play was an explosive 48-yard run from Swanson, putting Toledo on the board with seven points.

The teams went back and forth with the ball until third-year Toledo kicker Jameson Vest added three to the score, making it a 10-0 Toledo lead.

Late in the first half, Swanson struck on fourth down again, this time with a 22-yard run on fourth-and-two to make the score 17-0 before halftime.

Central Michigan came online late in the game, with its first score being a 23-yard field goal toward the end of the third quarter. The Rockets’ next drive solidified their win as Woodside finished off the eight-play, 87-yard drive with a five-yard run for a touchdown.

The Rockets will return to the Glass Bowl this Saturday as they host Akron at noon.