UT celebrates LGBTQ pride

October is recognized as LGBTQ month, and the University of Toledo celebrated its pride for the community by hosting a week full of events.

Dedicated to providing a safe and inviting environment for LGBTQ students, Prism UT works to advocate, represent and provide safety for the university’s LGBTQ community.

They will continue to host events throughout the rest of this month. “It’s a monthlong observance and celebration of our history, specifically the gay rights and related movements,” said Ashe Sneed, fourth-year psychology major and administrative secretary of Prism UT. “It gives us a chance to educate everyone on all that we've been through to get this far. It also allows us to talk about current topics within the community and how we can move past those.”

Sneed helps coordinate events. He said his favorite event during LGBTQ month was Prism UT’s Coming Out meeting.

“It's a very intimate setting where we can all share our experiences with coming out,” Sneed said. “It's a really good way to offer support and to bond with peers in the community.”

Last week’s events included Rane Arroyo’s Read-in and the Prism UT Coming Out meeting. This week’s events include Dialogue on Diversity Wednesday, Oct. 18 at 6 p.m. in Student Union room 2582, and Drag and Talent Thursday, Oct. 19 at 8 p.m. in Student Union room 2591.

This month’s events are open to all students. Prism UT encourages all students to attend, so that they can become more knowledgeable about the LGBTQ community.

“We've been through a lot to get to where we are today. We still have a lot of work to do to help the community,” Sneed said. “If everyone, including those who aren't in the community, is aware of all the unjust actions taken against LGBTQ people in the past, we might be able to prevent adverse situations in the future.”

For more information on LGBTQ month, visit Prism UT’s Facebook page.