UT hosts first Day of Giving

The University of Toledo raised $453,837 through 1,604 gifts Oct. 12 for the UT Foundation’s Rocket Forward Day of Giving.

The UT Foundation had meetings with various UT organizations and colleges that participated in the daylong event that lasted 36 hours with 16 participating entities.

“It was really nice to be able to pick what the money is donated to so that we could tailor our priorities to meet the needs of the students,” said Benjamin Barros, Dean of the College of Law.

According to the Rocket Forward website, many of the colleges picked scholarships, progress funds or unrestricted funds.

“The unrestricted fund allows the deans to use the money as they see fit for the students or staff,” Barros said.

Dean of the College of Business and Innovation Gary Insch said, “This was a way to get the students involved and to think about philanthropy before they leave the University.”

There were challenges that happened during the Day of Giving such as the Birthday Bash, where the first $10,000 in gifts raised from noon to 1 p.m. received a matching donation on Oct. 12, which was Toledo’s 145th birthday.

According to the Rocket Forward website, Rocket Nation Early Bird Challenge matched the first $10,000 that came before noon.

The colleges participated in a separate competition called Battle of the Colleges to see which college received the most gifts.

The College of Nursing was first winning $5,000 with 99 gifts. College of Arts and Letters was second with 95 gifts. Third was the College of Health and Human Services with 84 gifts, according to the Day of Giving website.

Student groups also participated in a competition called the Happy Hour Challenge to see which group raised the most money between 5 and 7 p.m.

According to the Day of Giving website, The Independent Collegian came in first place, raising $785 to win an additional $3,500 prize. The Sailing club was second with $325 and third was the Rocket Marching Band with $208.01.

Many of the colleges and groups had donor matches, so that they received more money. Some of the deans provided donor matches as well.

“I believe in our students, faculty and staff. And I commit to making sure everyone has what they need to succeed,” said Charlene Gilbert, Dean of the College of Arts and Letters.

Gilbert said “Our college did very well with the Day of Giving and I am very proud of the commitment demonstrated by our students, faculty and staff.”

According to a UT Rocket Marching Band Facebook post, the Rocket Marching band held a performance to thank the people donating to them.