Rockets split wins, secure MAC tournament spot

The Toledo women’s soccer team split their two matches over the weekend in a 1-0 loss to defending Mid-American Conference champion Kent State and a 2-1 victory on the road against Ohio University.

The Rockets are now 8-7-3 (5-3-2 MAC) and with the win over Ohio they clinched a spot in the MAC tournament.

In their first matchup, Kent State out-shot UT by four and forced first-year goalkeeper Madison Perrin to make five saves. Fourth-year captain Isa Echeverri managed three shots and third-year forward Regan Price added two shots.

The Golden Flashes wasted no time in attacking, as they put a shot on goal that hit off the post and glanced away. Toledo responded with an early shot of its own by fourth-year forward Sophie Pohl.

Afterward, KSU held the ball in Toledo for six minutes, including three corner kicks. The sequence ended in the only goal of the game for Kent State’s Vital Kats assisted by Kristen Brots.

Toledo only managed one more shot the rest of the half compared to four more shots by Kent State. The Rockets headed to halftime with a small deficit.

Both teams came out good defensively to start the second half. The first shot did not come until ten minutes into the half. Midway through the half, the Rockets became aggressive, attempting to tie the game. They fired off a flurry of shots with none threatening the goalie.

Kent State did not stop attacking but neither team scored. Echeverri came close to tying the game with a header in the 75th minute but it was saved and the Rockets fell just short of an equalizer.

Against Ohio, UT ended their two-match scoreless streak with a goal by Echeverri and third-year forward Alena Sidwell scored the go-ahead goal in 55th minute. The Rockets out-shot the Bobcats 12-6.

The ball went back and forth between the goalie boxes for the first 20 minutes of the game. But in the 19th minute the Bobcats struck first as Allie Curry pushed the ball past Perrin into an open net for her team-leading seventh goal of the season.

The Rockets did not trail for long however as Echeverri tied the game on an assist from first-year forward Sophia Lewis. UT tried to extend their lead before halftime, shooting three more times with none landing on goal.

They carried that same mindset into the second half, shooting three times in the first ten minutes and the third shot by Sidwell broke the tie in the 55th minute. Toledo went into protection mode, trying to earn their spot in the MAC tournament.

But Ohio was not going away easily, firing a shot on goal just four minutes after falling behind. That was the last shot on goal and the Bobcats only managed two more shots the rest of the game as Toledo controlled the ball and drained the clock.

This the 11th time in the last 13 seasons that the Rockets have earned their way into the MAC tournament. The site of their first-round game will be determined in the final game Thursday, Oct. 26 against rival Bowling Green. The match is set to begin at 3:05 p.m. at Scott Park.