Toledo volleyball drops two games to Miami and BGSU

The Toledo women’s volleyball team had some tough Mid-American Conference competition this past weekend. 
The team had games on back-to-back nights against MAC opponents Miami and Bowling Green. The results were less than stellar for the Rockets, who before this weekend had won three straight MAC games. 
On Friday, Oct. 20, their first match of the weekend against Miami University, the Rockets fell in three sets. The scores were 25-16, 25-10 and 25-22. Three Rockets would go on to tally double-digit digs: third-year Maurissa Leonard, who had a game high 26 digs, third-year Andrea Stephenson with 18 and third-year Carley Townsend with 10.
Townsend also chipped in with 25 assists. Fourth-year Annie Beasley had a team-high six kills, while Rachel Vidourek, also a fourth-year, added 5. 
The Rockets kept it close during most of the first set, with the score being 16-12 at one point. The Redhawks stayed poised and ended the first set with a 9-4 run, finishing the first set with a win, 25-16. 
The second set was all Redhawks, as they seemingly dominated from the opening whistle. They jumped out to a 15-2 lead and never looked back, winning the second set, 25-10. 
The third set featured the closest bout of the evening. Miami jumped out to an early 3-0 lead and looked to cruise to the finish line, but the Rockets had other plans. 
The Rockets, with help from a run, took a 9-6 lead and were able to keep enough momentum to jump ahead 16-13 with a strong effort from Beasley. The Rockets would not regain the lead; despite cutting the score to 23-22 late in the match, they fell 25-22. 
The Rockets hoped to rebound from their performance the night before with a home match against Bowling Green State University, but it was to no avail, as they fell 3-1. 
There may have been a small crowd in Savage Arena for the match between the Rockets and Falcons, but the energy was electric. 
Townsend once again had a very good assist game as she tallied 35, leading the team. Beasley and Vidourek led the team with 12 and 11 kills, respectively. Leonard had 36 digs and Stephenson had 10. 
Bowling Green earned a hard-fought 25-22 first set victory after being pushed to the brink by the Rockets. The Rockets would lead the set 9-8 early, and after losing the lead would cut the score to 19-18, but it wasn’t enough. 
The Rockets seemed to be no match in the second set as they trailed by as much as a 14 and could never get out ahead. The Rockets dropped this set 25-10. 
The Rockets showed their fight and never wavered in the third set. The Rockets’ backs were against the wall, yet they showed resolve as they prevailed for a 25-21 set victory. The Falcons would make a late run but weren’t able to pull ahead. Beasley and first-years Emma Swope and Chloee Kleespies all had kills in this set that proved to be the equalizer for the Rockets. 
The fourth set was neck-and-neck, and the score was even at 11 and after the Rockets scored four straight to take a 15-11 lead. It appeared they were going to harness the magic that helped them win the third set and win the fourth set as well. The Falcons had other plans, as they scored six straight to take a 17-15 lead and close the set, and the game out with a 25-21 victory. 
The opportunities were there for Rocket victories, but they were unable to capitalize in key stretches. The Rockets record falls to 10-12, with a 5-5 record in MAC play. The Rockets’ next matches are their two final home games, Oct. 27  and Oct. 28 against Eastern Michigan and Central Michigan, respectively.