UT Cross Country in MAC Championships

The University of Toledo Cross Country teams competed in the Mid-American Conference Championships this past weekend in Oxford, Ohio. The women runners finished as runner-up while the men placed ninth.

UT women finished with 99 points to become runner-up in the MAC, trailing Eastern Michigan by 54 points.

"I'm very proud of the women's team today," said Toledo head coach Linh Nguyen in a UTRockets interview. "We talked about running hard for each other and I think that's what we did."

The Rockets had four top 25 finishes. Athena Welsh, second-year runner, led Toledo by finishing in 10th place with a time of 21:10.7. Fourth-year runners, Janelle Noe finished in 15th at 21:31.1, Stephanie Barlow placed 20th with 21:36.7, and Joan Jepkirui finished 25th at 21:49.6. 

"This has been a fun team to coach this year," Nguyen said. "I'm excited to see what they can do at regionals."

The UT men finished in ninth place in the MAC with 213 points.

"We're disappointed with the result today," said Nguyen in a UTRockets interview. "The team has made great strides in fitness and training, but we haven't turned that into race performance."

Dimas Koech, second-year runner, led the Rockets with a 35th-place finish, clocking in at 25:41.7.

Alberto Chelimo, fourth-year runner, finished in 36th with 25:43.1 and Titus Koech, third-year runner, finished in 39th with 25:48.6.   

"The only thing we can do is try to get back at it in two weeks," Nguyen added in a UTRockets interview.  

The midnight blue and gold runners will take part in the NCAA Great Lakes Regional on Friday, Nov. 10 in Terre Haute, Indiana. The women will be competing for an opportunity to advance to the NCAA Championships.