Eight cars vandalized in University of Toledo parking garage

The windows of eight cars owned by University of Toledo students were shot out in the late afternoon on Oct. 26.

The suspects are now in custody and files were charged against the suspects Nov. 1.

UTPD filed warrants for criminal damage and criminal mischief charges on four individuals believed responsible for damaging vehicles in the East Ramp with a BB gun, according to Jeff Newton, chief of police and director of public safety for the university. None were UT students or had known affiliates with UT.  The four individuals charged are: Nicholas Poker, 35 of Toledo; Stephen Provolt, 25 of Toledo; Dameon Bates, 25 of Toledo; and Achlee Vannoster, 21 of Toledo.

A BB gun was used to fire shots from inside another car containing four people unaffiliated with the university, said Jeff Newton, chief of police and director of public safety for the university.

The cars were on the first floor of the east ramp parking garage, near Bancroft St. and North Towerview Blvd., he said.

Initially, seven cars were reported shot at, but an eighth car was later reported.

Nothing was taken from the cars, and no one was injured in the incident, as all the cars shot at were unoccupied. The victims called UT police to report the damage to their vehicles, he said.

Several officers responded to the scene using the cameras located throughout the parking garage to determine the suspects involved.

Right now, there is no known motive for the shooting, according to UTPD.

“The victims involved did right by reporting the damage,” said Newton. “It helped us solve this case, and we hope to get restitution for those victims that had insurance claims or a cost to them because of the incident.”

UT students have mixed feelings on the shooting.

“I parked there today,” said Claire Minniear, third year law and social thought student. “Now, I’m nervous to park there again.”

Jim Edmunds, a graduate history major in UT’s Program 60 said he parks in that garage all the time and has never had any problems.

“It’s so hard to prevent incidents like this because people always want to screw around,” he said.

Dave Parent, a third-year film major who sometimes parks in the east garage, said UTPD did a great job and is relieved to know the suspects were caught.

“We want students to continue to report when they have information or see a crime occur,” said Newton. “That’s what aids us in our prevention of incidents like this.”

UT police are very pleased to bring this case to a conclusion.

“It’s always a good outcome when you identify the bad guys and bad girls involved,” Newton said.