Rocket Volleyball wins thriller versus Buffalo

November 7, 2017

The women’s volleyball team won a thrilling match Nov. 4 against University at Buffalo.

After dropping a tough match to Ball State, the team was anxious to take the court again, but a tough Buffalo team was standing in its way.

Buffalo took command of the game early in the first set, jumping out of the gates with a 7-2 lead. The Rockets would claim three straight to make the game 7-5 in the early stages, but that’s as close as it would get as Buffalo took the first set, 25-19.

The Rockets would quickly wipe the first set from memory, as a 15-3 run in the second set would give the team a massive 25-13 second-set victory. Buffalo had tied the match at 10 apiece, but it never mattered as the Rockets evened the match up at one.

The third set was a dogfight with no team being able to take command until the end. The Buffalo Bulls would claim a 14-12 lead in the third set, but that is all it could hang its hats on. The Rockets took the lead, 18-17, and never looked back, winning the third set 25-23.

With a Rocket victory available in the fourth set, Buffalo never blinked in its quest to force a decisive fifth set. It was yet another back-and-forth affair, with the score being tied a whopping 13 different times, going as far as 23-23. However, the Bulls proved resilient as the team finished the set off with a 25-23 victory to force a fifth set.

The match came down to the fifth set and, with the way this contest had transpired, it seemed fitting that it ended on such high stakes. A 6-3 lead early for the Rockets turned gloomy as the team faced a 9-7 deficit; nobody for the Rockets dropped their heads as they fought back to reclaim the lead, 11-10. Soon, a 13-12 Buffalo lead became a 13-13 tie after a serving error and then a sweet victory for the Rockets as the team scored the final two points to win the set and the match, 15-13.

The Rockets were aided in part by a combined 36 kills from first-year Emma Swope and fourth-years Saige Thomas and Annie Beasley. The heart-pounding 3-2 victory gave the Rockets a 12-14 record, 7-7 in MAC play. The team finishes up their season at Western Michigan University Nov. 10.