Meet the success coach

November 15, 2017

The Center for Success Coaching helps University of Toledo students all over campus with academic and personal issues during their college careers. 

Lauren Maleitzke has been a success coach for a year and a half, previously working in the Center for Experiential Learning and Career Services as a career service representative. She has worked at UT for two and a half years.

Maleitzke currently works with students directly out of high school in exploratory studies, pharmacy and health and human services.

Why did you get into success coaching?

I became a success coach because I enjoy working closely with students on their academic and professional growth, empowering students to be successful through their college journey.

What is your favorite thing about UT? 

My favorite thing about UT are the opportunities for continuous learning and growth. UT is always looking for ways to better this university for our students and community.

What TV show title best describes your life? 

"Gilmore Girls" would most likely describe my life. My sisters and I were raised by my mother and we have a strong close relationship. My mother taught me what it means to work hard and to be passionate about what you believe in. At a very young age, she instilled in us to love what you do and do what you love!

What song or artist do you like but rarely admit to liking?

I am obsessed with Celine Dion and am proud to announce it to the world! In fact, I just saw her this past weekend in Las Vegas. Definitely checked this off my bucket list!

What should students do to help them prepare for the end of the semester? 

As we wind down to the end of the semester, my advice for students is to not give up and to persevere through the last few weeks and end successfully. Stay in contact with your success coach, visit the LEC, counseling center, speak with your instructors if you do not understand the material and prepare yourself for your finals. We are hosting our final Success Series Workshop on Nov. 28 and 29, “What the Syllabus Doesn’t Tell You About Finals,” that focuses on the best study strategies to end your semester strong.

What are some of the best study techniques to use? 

There are several study strategies that I personally utilize and discuss with my students. You need to begin by evaluating how you study – time, space, location. Are you spending enough time studying for each course? Avoid procrastination and cramming at the last minute. Creating a master to-do list and schedule to better organize each week and assignments. 

How effective are your note-taking skills? Cornell notes! There are various techniques and each student is different in their way of study. We advise, if you need help tweaking or finding a better way of study, talk with your coach about what is right for you! These strategies and techniques can be utilized every semester!

What should students do if they are feeling overwhelmed? 

If a student is feeling overwhelmed, please talk with your success coach or someone you feel you can trust. There are great resources on campus that can assist students in all areas. Counseling center, success coach, academic adviser, instructors, Office of Student Conduct, Office of Student Disabilities, etc. If you are unsure of where to start, contact your coach and we can point you in the right direction. You are not alone. We care about each and every student.