‘Tis the season of giving

November 29, 2017

In the midst of frenzied shoppers and holiday wish lists, it’s easy to forget that Christmastime is the “season of giving.”

Students at the University of Toledo, however, haven’t lost the spirit of giving. The Association for the Advancement of African Women (4AW) is planning to give back to the community and help families in need this Christmas.

4AW invited 11 African UT organizations and fraternities to participate in an event Dec. 5 called “This Christmas” from 7:30 to 11 p.m. in the Student Union Ingman Room.

The event serves as a holiday party for families of Pathway’s Brothers United, a Toledo-based organization that works to “help men tackle the challenges of fatherhood so they, and their families, can reap its rewards,” according to their website.

Dai’Ja Banks, special events chair for 4AW and a second-year majoring in social work, said she randomly assigned each participating organization a family. All the families are a part of Pathway's Brothers United because their fathers are a part of the program.

“We chose this organization because we felt that it was a different nonprofit organization just for the fact that they were teaching fathers how to be fathers to their children,” Banks said. “And we feel that is important.”

Each organization will gather items for their “adopted family,” wrap the gifts and present them to the family at the event.

Keith Boggs, a fourth-year communication major and president of the Black Student Union, will be participating in This Christmas with his organization and said they have already begun gathering items for the family.

“So far, we’ve just been trying to address the needs the family presently has, so gathering some of the things they may need, like children’s clothing and food and any other necessities they listed for us,” Boggs said.

He also said they will meet their family for the first time at the event.

“I’m certainly looking forward to it, as are many members of our organization,” Boggs said.

Randolph Thomas, a third-year biomedical ecology major and president of Omega Psi Phi, said he has also led his fraternity in collecting items for their family.