Catch up with UT Athletics over the Holidays

November 28, 2017

Football at BGSU 11/15

The Rockets (10-2, 7-1 MAC) won their eighth consecutive game over Bowling Green State University in the Battle of I-75 in BG, 66-37. Fourth-year Terry Swanson collected 192 rushing yards of the team’s 389. Shakif Seymour, redshirt first-year running back, tied the UT single-game rushing touchdown record with five touchdowns.

The Falcons fought tooth and nail during the first half, as the team trailed by three at halftime, 24-21. However, the second half belonged the Rockets, as they scored 42 points compared to the Falcons’ 16.

Toledo outgained BG in total offensive yards, 637-389, and in first downs, 32-20. The Rocket defense held the Falcons to 80 yards of rushing. There were 17 penalties throughout the game; UT had 8-76 yards, and BG had 9-102 yards. 

UT’s 66 points against BG are the highest amount against the Falcons since Toledo’s 63-0 victory in 1935. The series between the two schools is now tied 39-39-4.    

WBB vs Louisiana 11/18

Olivia Cunningham, third-year guard, led the Rockets to victory over the Louisiana Rajin’ Cajuns, 79-55, with a career-high of 27 points. This was the consolation round of the Preseason WNIT held in Savage Arena.

Jay-Ann Bravo-Harriott, fourth-year guard, followed Cunningham with 15 points and happened to be only Rocket in each of the first three games of this season to score at least 10 points.

UT’s defense forced 19 turnovers — eight steals — on the Ragin’ Cajuns and collected 24 points off of those turnovers.

Kaayla McIntyre, third-year guard, collected a career-high 13 rebounds. The rest of the Rockets collected 22 rebounds. 

The midnight blue and gold shot 42 percent from beyond the arc and 78 percent from the foul line.

MBB vs Oakland 11/18

Jaelan Sanford, third-year guard, led the Rockets to victory with 26 points over the Oakland Golden Grizzlies, 87-74, in Savage Arena.

Tre'Shaun Fletcher, fourth-year guard, added 20 points and eight rebounds alongside Luke Knapke, second-year center, with his first career double-double of 17 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks.

The strong Rocket defense held the high-scoring Golden Grizzlies to 37 percent shooting and forced 10 turnovers.

Rebounding was a huge factor for the Rockets’ 45 total. Knapke collected 10, Nate Navigato, third-year forward, added a career-high of nine and Fletcher followed with eight.

Toledo’s offense produced nearly 46 percent from field goals and 77 percent from the foul line.

MBB at Syracuse 11/22/17

The Rockets came up eight short, 72-64, against the Syracuse Orange in the Carrier Dome and were handed their first loss of the season.

Fletcher led the Rockets with 19 points, who made five of six three-point attempts. Fletcher also collected a career-high 11 rebounds to earn his second double-double in four games.

"Tre'Shaun continues to provide us great leadership and toughness," said head coach Tod Kowalczyk. "Just the way he talks and communicates on the floor has really been huge for our team."

Toledo trailed by one at halftime and then took its only lead of the game, 35-33, at the beginning of the second half. Syracuse answered with an 11-0 run to regain control and take command for the rest of the game. 

Three other Rockets reached double digits in scoring. Nate Navigato collected 13, Knapke added 12 and Sanford followed with 11.

"We played with great heart and great character," Kowalczyk said. "I'm disappointed with not getting the win, but if we play like that the wins will come." 

WBB vs Dayton 11/23/17

3,347 fans witnessed the Rockets handing the Dayton Flyers their first loss of the season in Savage Arena. This matchup was a battle of the champions since Dayton won the Atlantic-10 Conference last season and the Rockets won the MAC last season.

McIntyre led the Rockets in scoring with 19 points and Cunningham followed with 10. Bravo-Harriott and Mariella Santucci, second-year guard, each added seven points.

Toledo made 42 percent of its shots from beyond the arc and 75 percent from the foul line. 

The Rockets finished with 21 assists, 10 steals, 33 rebounds and a season-low of seven turnovers. Dating back to last season, the midnight blue and gold have extended their home winning streak to nine.