Company creates college connection

November 29, 2017

Students will soon be able to travel by bus between 11 Ohio colleges, including the University of Toledo. The Inter-College Bus Company will start running four bus routes that connect each campus Jan. 18, according to Chanse Gvist, co-owner of the company.

Co-owners Sam Sheronovich and Gvist founded the company in 2016 because as college freshmen they had friends at universities across the state and found it difficult to visit them.

“We wanted to create the easiest, safest and most student-oriented transportation company in the state,” Gvist said.

Students can also travel to Cleveland State University, Kent State University, the University of Akron, Ohio State University, Bowling Green State University, Marietta College, Ohio University, the University of Dayton, Miami University of Ohio and the University of Cincinnati.

The company was founded in Columbus with the mission statement, “We specialize in providing students with a fast and efficient way to move between colleges in the state of Ohio. Whether you’re looking to travel for a day or a weekend away, we’re committed to service and excellence, and we’ll take care of all the details so you can start relaxing long before your next trip.”

Second-year pre-dental student Hannah Sabecki said she looks forward to the new bus routes.

“I plan to use the inter-college buses because it seems like it will be affordable, have a flexible schedule and will allow me to kick back and relax during trips to destinations likes OSU and the University of Cincinnati,” Sabecki said.

The bus route from UT will go directly to Bowling Green State University and to Ohio State University. OSU will then act as home base for Ohio by connecting all the bus routes together, according to the website. Buses will run Thursday to Sunday every week. Each route will run three times per day with different times for each campus and all pickup and drop-off locations will be located at the student union or student center.

Buses leaving UT will leave at 6 a.m., 1 p.m., and 8 p.m.

Official prices are not yet listed on the website, but the company’s Facebook page states that there will be a $20 charge for each one-way trip.

Gvist also said the bus system will run over the summer on a modified schedule, and the bus schedules might include special routes to take students to sporting events.

The company’s website says students are required to check in an hour before the bus’s scheduled departure time. If a passenger doesn’t, the company holds the right to give away that seat to another passenger with no refunds.

According to the website, each bus is equipped with reclining seats, Wi-Fi, outlets and restrooms.

“I think that the bus system sounds like a good, cheap method of transportation, as long as it’s reliable

and not at all shady,” said Nathan St. Clair, a first-year chemical and environmental engineering student.

Each student will be able to check one bag and take one carry-on bag. If someone wants to stay for a longer duration or needs to take extra luggage for any reason, an extra luggage allowance will be added to the initial ticket cost.

“This seems like a good idea, especially for games or events, and I could see myself using them for that,” said Hunter Brown, a second-year pharmacy student.

The ability to purchase tickets for any length of a stay will be advantageous for students, Brown said.