Women’s basketball continues hot start

November 28, 2017

The Toledo Rockets women’s basketball team won its fourth straight game on Monday, beating Iona 74-57. 

It was a dominant performance from start to finish for the Rockets, who now hold a 4-1 record on the year. Third-year guard Mikaela Boyd led the Rockets with 14 points and chipped in 11 rebounds as well. Third-year center Kaayla McIntyre also added 10 points for the Rockets.

The Rockets shot a scorching 54 percent on the game; that hot shooting started in the first quarter, as the Rockets jumped out to a 14-4 lead by making six of their first seven shots.

The hot start continued, even after an Iona timeout, when the Rockets extended their 14-4 lead to 27-12 while shooting 73 percent from the field.

The second quarter proved to be different challenge though, as Iona went on a quick 10-0 run as the Rockets cooled off. Iona stayed in the contest as the second quarter wound down. The score was 33-30 at halftime in favor of the Rockets.

The Rockets never wavered. They came out of halftime reeling and set their sights on one thing: winning.

The Rockets had 10 turnovers at the half which hindered their performance. Even though they had an additional 12 turnovers in the second half, it didn’t seem to matter. Fourth-year guard Jada Woody scored eight of her 10 points consecutively to give the Rockets a 49-42 lead, and from there they didn’t look back.

In the fourth quarter, the Rockets would put the game away by scoring 10 points unanswered, taking a 59-42 lead. The rest of the contest seemed to be a formality as the Rockets continued rolling throughout the fourth and took the win, 74-57, on the road.

The Rockets' next game is at home Thursday, Nov. 30 against Maine at 7 p.m.