Destroy the idea of subjects in the school system

December 6, 2017

It’s not an unusual phenomenon in schools today to find connections between different classes. In fact, it would be unusual to say that there are no connections.

So why is everything taught separately, and encouraged to be thought of as separate? 

This semester, in my college courses, I took three classes in three different colleges; Mass Communication Ethics for my major, Environmental Science for my last science credit and Introduction to Peace Justice Studies as an elective.

Yet, somehow, each one of these courses taught me about the same idea: sustainable development and its connections within the environmental, political and business spheres.

This got me thinking about why these courses are so different and how my ideas regarding each course would have been altered if I hadn’t taken them during the same semester.

I feel like it would have hurt me academically and personally. I have learned a lot about my personal philosophy and made changes regarding my lifestyle because of the lessons I have learned from these courses.

Finland has already identified this as a better way to focus education. According to the Washington Post, Finland has switched to a topic-based learning program, combining two or more subjects per lesson.

This would mean that lessons regarding foreign language would be combined with geography, or subjects like economics and geography would result in lessons about the European Union.

This helps combine real life with school subjects and allows for students to have a lot more freedom in their own education.

It allows the student to find their passions and to explore topics in new and exciting ways.

It also promotes a different way of thinking, inspiring new and innovative ideas in the next generation that can only continue to improve our society.

Not only that, but Finland has proven, according to the Washington Post article, to score better on tests and in comprehensive learning than students in the United States.

If we are considering education reform in this country, I think it is imperative to notice how having rigid ideas about subjects affects students.

If we were to follow in Finland’s footsteps and teach students about the real world while also teaching them about history, math, science, writing and everything else they need to know, imagine how much the country could accomplish.

It is a widely held opinion that the education system in this country needs to be changed, and this is the direction to for those changes to occur. If we change the way we teach, we can change the way students think—and that can change the world.