New VP of Student Affairs appointed

January 17, 2018

Phillip “Flapp” Cockrell was named vice president of the Division of Student Affairs, effective Jan. 1, after serving as the interim for the position since June.

Cockrell was appointed to the role of interim vice president of student affairs after Kaye Patten, former vice president of student affairs, retired.

The Division of Student Affairs covers a broad range of categories to help students have a positive out-of-class college experience, Cockrell said.

Each part of the team focuses on a few aspects of students’ out-of-class experience, such as inclusion, diversity, resident life, the food pantry, the Latino Initiative, multicultural programs, cultural awareness months, student conduct, student involvement, reserving space in the union and the counseling center.

“Our focus is everything a student deals with outside of the classroom,” Cockrell said.

To improve their college experience, he tells students two join one or two organizations that they love and are passionate about.

Cockrell said the division provides four tenants for students to live by: dream big and aspire to those dreams, students engaging the university community, becoming leaders, and getting in the mindset of giving back.

He also encourages students to invite him to their organizations and events.

“I have an open-door policy. I have candy and snacks in my office, and I am committed to the success of UT students,” Cockrell said.

He is on medical leave until Feb. 1, but he says students can e-mail him as well.

“Flapp is a passionate leader who is committed to student success and motivating his team to provide the best service possible,” said President Sharon Gaber in UT News. “I look forward to his continued leadership and the initiatives he will put in place to enhance student life on our campus.”

The goals that he wants his staff to achieve for their students are the same goals he wants his staff to achieve.

“I ask my staff how I can better serve them and think of ways that I can achieve these goals for my team and the students,” Cockrell said.

Cockrell said his mission is to create global citizens and be a catalyst for change. His office is located in University Hall room 3630.