Toledo women’s basketball enters 2018 with back-to-back MAC wins

January 16, 2018

The University of Toledo women’s basketball team has secured two important wins over Mid-American Conference opponents Ohio University and Northern Illinois University. 
The Rockets took down Ohio on Jan. 10 by a score of 75-57. Three days later, the Rockets picked up another win against Northern Illinois, 63-60. 
Third-year guard Mikaela Boyd led the offense against Ohio with 17 points and 19 rebounds to secure her fourth double-double of the season. Second-year guard Mariella Santucci made an impact off the bench, scoring 12. 
As a team, the Rockets were impressive from the field. Toledo shot 46.7 percent (28-60) from the field and 71.4 percent (15-21) from the free throw line. 
Toledo also dominated on the glass and beat the Bobcats in the rebounding category, out-rebounding Ohio 53-24. Boyd and third-year center Kaayla McIntyre led this category with 19 and 10, respectively.  
Ohio was led by first-year forward Gabby Burris, who recorded 14 points coming off the bench. 
Toledo left the first period with a three-point lead on the back of five early points from fourth-year guard Jay-Ann Bravo-Harriott. 
The second period saw a down period for the Rockets, as they were outscored 17-2 in the final eight minutes. UT shot an atrocious 3-13 from the field and had nine turnovers. 
Toledo came out of halftime ready to make up for their second quarter mistakes. The Rockets fired off a quick 11 points and maintained that intensity for the rest of the quarter. UT secured a 35-31 lead by the 5:48 mark. 
Ohio kept the game within competitive distance heading into the final quarter, but Toledo eventually ran away with the game, securing the win by a score of 75-57. 
Against MAC West rival Northern Illinois, the Rockets were able to scrape by with a win, 63-60. 
Boyd led the Rockets again with 17 points, followed by McIntyre with 16 and Bravo-Harriott with 13. 
Boyd once again dominated on the glass, snagging 12 rebounds for her fourth double-double in five games. 
Toledo held the lead for almost 34 minutes but lost it with almost two minutes left in regulation. 
Following a timeout, Bravo-Harriot knocked down a three that gave Toledo a lead that they would not let up. 
NIU came close to overtaking Toledo in the final minutes but could not find the right shots to take the lead. 
In the end, Toledo came out on top by a score of 63-60. 
Toledo will look to continue its MAC winning streak when it takes on Ball State University Jan. 17 at 7:00 p.m. at home.