UT men tied for first in MAC West

January 16, 2018

The University of Toledo men’s basketball team has had a productive winter break. The Rockets have been 6-2 since Dec. 16 and have catapulted themselves into first place of the Mid-American Conference West division. 
The Rockets are currently on a three-game winning streak, led by fourth-year guard Tre’Shaun Fletcher. Fletcher was recently named the MAC West player of the week.
Fletcher has averaged 21.5 points, seven rebounds and six assists over the last three games. Fletcher has also maintained a laser sharp accuracy, making 64 percent (16 - 25) of his shots during the streak. 
The Rockets’ last two games have been against big MAC West rivals Central Michigan University and Western Michigan University. 
Toledo took on WMU Jan. 9, where it won in convincing fashion, 84-61. Fletcher finished the game with 21 points, followed closely by third-year guard Jaelan Sanford and second-year center Luke Knapke, who both scored 16 points. 
The Rockets were unstoppable on offense in the second half, shooting an incredible 72.7 percent from the field. 
They faced off against Central Michigan Jan. 13, winning by a much closer margin of  93-82. 
Fletcher led the Rockets on scoring again, this time with 22 points. Sanford followed closely behind with 21 points. 
Third-year forward Nate Navigato hit an important landmark this game, becoming the 45th Rocket to score 1,000 career points. 
The Rockets had a stellar first half, entering halftime with a lead of 45-39. 
Early in the second half, CMU cut into Toledo’s lead, making it a two-point game, but a three from Fletcher kept the distance between the teams in the Rockets’ favor. 
The Chippewas answered quickly, and the score was soon 52-51 in the Rockets’ favor. 
The game remained back-and-forth for the rest of the contest, but a late three from Navigato gave UT a comfortable lead, securing the win 93-82. 
Free throws were the key factor for the Rockets, as they were able to hit seven of eight in the last minute of the game. 
The Rockets will head to Athens Jan. 16  to face off against Ohio University as they look to continue their MAC winning streak.