University of Toledo adopts tuition guarantee plan

January 17, 2018

Administrators and faculty across the University of Toledo’s campuses have worked since April to implement a tuition guarantee plan that will rework tuition for students.

The plan establishes a fixed tuition rate for four years to provide price transparency and consistency for families, according to UT News. It also encourages students to complete their bachelor’s degree in four years.

The UT Board of Trustees approved the Toledo Tuition Guarantee plan in December, according to Stephanie Sanders, interim vice president for enrollment management.

“This tuition guarantee plan aligns our commitment to providing a high-quality education at an affordable price with efforts to support student success and raise retention and graduation rates,” said Larry Kelley in an interview with UT News. Kelley is UT’s executive vice president for finance and administration and its chief financial officer.

The plan will be effective in the fall semester 2018 for degree-seeking undergraduate students who enroll at UT as first-year students or transfer students.

Students will have a fixed rate for tuition, the general fee and select miscellaneous fees.

While on-campus housing and meal plan rates are also guaranteed for four years, residence hall space cannot be guaranteed past a student’s second year because of UT’s requirement that students live on campus during their first two years.

The out-of-state surcharge is not included in the plan, and graduate students, non-degree seeking students, exchange students and students in College Credit Plus are not part of the guarantee either. Current UT students will not be impacted, said Sanders.

The plan guarantees undergraduate students a fixed rate for four academic years, including eight consecutive fall and spring semesters, four summer semesters and any intersessions within that period. Students who enroll in classes beyond their guarantee period will pay the tuition rate set for a subsequent cohort.

Up to a one-year extension of their guaranteed cohort period will be granted to students in programs that take longer than four years to complete because of required additional credit hours, due to accreditation or licensing requirements, or required internships or co-ops. The list of applicable programs is being finalized.

A $500 scholarship will be offered to students who complete their undergraduate degree within the guarantee period, if they enroll in a UT graduate program within three semesters of graduating with their bachelor’s degree, said Sanders.

“I’m glad to be able to offer this price certainty to our students and their families as we continue to strengthen our efforts that encourage students to succeed in their studies, graduate and go on to pursue successful careers,” said UT President Sharon Gaber to UT News.