University of Toledo Tennis opens spring season

January 23, 2018

The University of Toledo’s women’s tennis team opened the season by splitting a pair of games. UT dominated the Chicago State Cougars 7-0 this past Friday in the home opener held at the Shadow Valley Tennis Club in Maumee and lost 4-0 at Michigan State this past Sunday.

Toledo claimed victories against Chicago State at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 singles with second-year Mimi Kendall-Woseley and fourth-years Sidnay Huck and Colleen O’Brien. Between the three of them, only three games were dropped in their matches.

Dee Dee Leenabanchong, second-year, started the season strong with a three-set win at No. 4 singles.

Kokoro Chishaki, third-year, finished with a 7-6, 6-0 victory with a needed tiebreaker.

The Rockets took two of the three doubles matches. The CSU Cougars defaulted for No. 3 doubles, handing the Rockets the doubles point. Third-year Thalita Rodrigues collaborated with Kendall-Woseley for Toledo’s 6-4 victory at No. 2 doubles.

"Our win today gives us a very solid start to our season," said head coach Tracy Mauntler in a UTRockets interview. "We have a goal to get better every time we step on the court, and today we did that."

On Sunday afternoon in East Lansing, MI, Toledo came up short against the Michigan State Spartans across the board in singles competition.

The third doubles competition match was the lone victory for the Rockets as O’Brien and Leenabanchong defeated the Spartans 6-3.

The midnight blue and gold will travel east on the Ohio Turnpike to battle the Duquesne Dukes Saturday, Jan. 27 at 4p.m. and Cleveland State Vikings Sunday, Jan. 28 at 2 p.m. in Cleveland, OH. The next home match will be Friday, Feb. 2 at 1 p.m. at the Shadow Valley Tennis Club in Maumee on S. Holland-Sylvania Rd.     

For the men’s tennis squad, the Rockets traveled to Louisville, Kentucky to face off with the Louisville Cardinals to begin their season and quickly faced a grim challenge. The Rockets lost the contest 6-1, and the doubles team fell 3-0.

The only singles competitor for the Rockets to win his match was second-year Thawin Suksathaporn, winning his sets 6-1 and 6-4.

“We played pretty well in spots, but we can and will do better,” head coach Al Wermer said after the match. “These guys will play hard together and be very hard to beat.”

The Rockets had to put the loss at Louisville behind them as the team’s second contest of the season was yet another road test, this time at the University of Dayton.

In the second installment of this three-game road trip, the Rockets yet again dropped the contest 6-1 to the Dayton Flyers.

This time around, it was third-year Vince Anzalone who was the lone victor for the Rockets; he won his matches 6-4 and 7-6. The doubles matches, however, were a different story. Three gripping matches gave Dayton a 2-1 series advantage. The doubles match did not finish but still gave the Rockets a reason to smile.

“This match was riveting; from the first ball in doubles, it could have gone either way. We showed the resilience we expect, but Dayton was just too good today,” Wermer said after the day’s contests.

The men’s tennis squad will head to Ohio State University in Columbus on Jan. 28.