University of Toledo cuts costs with new bus system

January 24, 2018

A new bus-finding app went live Jan. 16 as part of the University of Toledo’s plan to make transit services more efficient and cost-effective.

Passio Go! is a free app that allows students, faculty and staff to track and view every bus route at once, see arrival times and receive alerts, said Steve Wise, manager of transit services and motor vehicle operations.

The main difference between this app and what was previously available is the developing company – Passio Technologies Inc. — Wise said.

With the introduction of a bus-finding app, there are now two automated systems on UT buses. 

“The second is a swipe system where students and faculty swipe, and it counts how many riders we have,” Wise said. “It also validates the ID, saying these passengers are allowed to ride.”

To simplify the current system and save money, UT decided to use the bus finder app offered by Passio alongside the swipe system, he said. The new system is estimated to save the university $16,792.33 annually, according to Wise’s calculations.

At the time of publication, the exact amount of money spent on the new systems installment was not available. 

Some students felt the app had glitches but is overall helpful.

“The timing is off, inaccurate,” said Walaa Kanan, a social work major at UT. “I feel like it’ll be good once they fix the glitches with the time and schedule.”

Amanda Major, a business student, said she relies on the schedules posted in the waiting shed more than the app.

“I do think it is helpful but not as much as the old one,” Major said. “I expected it to be a lot more updated, but it’s not.”

Another problem Wise described was that “a handful” of newer iPhones wouldn’t receive the right messages or wouldn’t be notified at all.

Transit Services has reached out to the developers of the app, who sent out updates last week and promised more will be released.

“We ran into some glitches the first week and reached out to Passio, and I think we’ve corrected those so far,” he said.

Passio Go! is available on the Google Play Store and the App Store for free.