New dean hired for College of Education

Raymond Witte, current professor and chair of the Department of Education Psychology at Miami University, was announced as the new dean of education at the University of Toledo. He will begin July 1.   

“Dr. Witte is an experienced administrator, having served as department chair and associate dean,” said Andrew Hsu, provost and executive vice president for academic affairs. “He is not only an accomplished scholar as a university professor, he had many years of experience working for public schools before joining academia.”

As the new dean, Witte said he wants to be more connected with students to help prepare them for their future careers.

He will be coming to UT for meetings once a month starting in February, but he hopes to hold one-on-one meetings and small informal groups such as coffee with the dean, open Friday gatherings or student organization meetings to make students feel more comfortable in a college environment, he said.

“I appreciate that he is experienced in education and that he cares about student lives,” said Shelby Johnston, a third-year early education major. “If he wants us to succeed, we will succeed.”

While working in a K-12 environment, Witte explained how he learned a sense of understanding of broader "systems" that could affect a student's learning, such as looking for problems and addressing them.

“Making good decisions is paramount, to make good decisions you need good data and that everything we are doing makes sense and is supported by the data,” Witte said.

He plans to help expand upon this data-oriented decision-making and strengthen it.

Witte's goals are to get to know everyone at UT, to continue to promote interest in programs at UT, increase enrollment to make viable and robust programs that students will want to be a part of and help with financial obligations, Witte said.

“He’ll be a new perspective in the college,” said Haley Gerlica, a third-year early education major.

Witte received his Ph.D. and master’s degrees in educational psychology and bachelor’s degree in psychology from the University of Kentucky, according to a UT press release.

“He has a passion for student success, especially those of first-generation college students,” Hsu said. “I am glad to welcome him to the University of Toledo and look forward to working with him and the college to further improve our college and our student success.”